NEW YORK – The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum has opened to the public on September 25th. The Museum has put extensive measures in place for the health and safety of visitors based on guidance from public health experts that go above and beyond the minimum requirements. These include capacity limits, timed ticketing, a mandatory face covering policy, enforced social distancing, protective barriers and increased cleaning and sanitization.
The vast majority of the 350,000 square foot complex is open and accessible including most exhibitions, their entire collection of aircraft on the hangar and flight decks, the space shuttle Enterprise, as well as several new enhancements.
During the closure, the Museum restored Intrepid’s escalator which will be open to the public in the next several weeks, for the first time in decades. The Navy installed escalators on aircraft carriers to help pilots quickly move from their ready rooms deep in the ship to the flight deck. Intrepid’s escalator, installed in the 1950s, is no longer operational; however, visitors will be able to walk up the escalator from the hangar deck to the flight deck as well as learn about its mechanics and role during service.
The Museum has also debuted a new interactive visitor guide that allows guests to access exhibit content on their phones. This guide, created through a collaboration with the NYU Ability Project, will assist visitors with wayfinding as well as provide additional content and information about the Museum’s spaces and exhibits. It will help combat several COVID-related challenges such as eliminating shared audio tour devices and preventing crowding around exhibit labels, and has a user experience designed to be inclusive and accessible to people of all ages and abilities.
“After six long months, I am thrilled to finally be able to say that the Intrepid Museum is open to the public,” said Intrepid Museum President Susan Marenoff-Zausner. “As we move forward, the health and safety of our employees, volunteers, former crew members and visitors is our number one priority. The Museum has put into action a myriad of enhanced measures that go above and beyond the minimum requirements and we will continue to provide the same one-of-a kind experience the Intrepid Museum is renowned for.”
Below are highlights of the safety procedures, new policies and expectations for visitors and staff. More specific guidelines, FAQs and advance timed ticketing information can be found at IntrepidMuseum.org.
Museum Schedule and Hours
- The Museum is operating with a five-day per week schedule, Wednesday-Sunday from 10:00am-5:00pm.
- The last available timed ticket is at 3:30pm, with all guests entering no later than 4:00pm.
- Attendance is initially limited to a maximum of 25 percent of Museum capacity to manage physical distancing.
- A timed, advance reservation ticketing policy is in place.
- Advance tickets are required.
- Cashless transactions are strongly encouraged.
Cleaning and Sanitization
- Cleaning procedures have been enhanced throughout the Museum. Extra attention is given to high-traffic and high-touch areas, including handrails, benches, handles, restrooms, garbage bins and more.
- All exhibits are cleaned and disinfected every hour in which the Museum is open to the public as well as nightly.
- Elevators are cleaned and disinfected every hour during Museum hours.
- The number of hand sanitizing stations has been significantly increased throughout the Museum complex to more than 200.
Further Safety Measures
- Protective barriers have been added to the box office, Information Desk and other strategic locations for the safety of visitors and staff.
- Certain areas, exhibits and amenities of the Museum such as the interior of the Concorde, submarine Growler, Lutnick Theater, simulators, food service and the retail store are temporarily unavailable.
- All onsite public programming remains suspended until further notice.
- Group experiences such as tours, birthday parties and overnights are temporarily unavailable.
What to expect from the Intrepid Museum
- Protective equipment: Properly-worn face coverings on every employee.
- Frequent sanitizing: Enhanced cleaning of all surfaces throughout the day, with an emphasis on high-touch surfaces.
- Social distancing: Strict six-foot social distancing enforced for staff and visitors.
- Hand-sanitizer stations: More than 200 hand sanitizers available throughout the Museum.
- Employee health checks: Museum employees perform daily health self-monitoring before coming to work, in accordance with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, New York State and New York City guidelines.
- Employee wellness: Museum employees experiencing any symptoms are required to stay home and self-quarantine for 14 days.
- Patience and Understanding: Museum employees understand that we are all adjusting to new protocols and guidelines and are committed to communicating with our visitors with thoughtfulness and patience.
What we expect from our visitors
- Wear a face covering: Face coverings for visitors over 2 years of age are required at the Museum and/or Pier 86. Face coverings must be worn properly, tightly covering the mouth and nose at all times.
- Practice social distancing: Maintain six feet of distance from other visitors except for members of your household/party and observe all social distancing markers.
- Visit at another time if you are showing symptoms: Visitors who show any signs of illness are asked to plan your visit for another day. For the health and safety of all, the Intrepid Museum reserves the right to ask visitors with visible symptoms to come back another time.
- Patience and Understanding: As the Museum works to keep you safe, please show patience with, and respect to staff and other visitors.
About the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum
The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is a non-profit, educational institution featuring the legendary aircraft carrier Intrepid, the space shuttle Enterprise, the world’s fastest jets and a guided missile submarine. Through exhibitions, educational programming and the foremost collection of technologically groundbreaking aircraft and vessels, visitors of all ages and abilities are taken on an interactive journey through history to learn about American innovation and bravery.
The Intrepid Museum fulfills its mission to honor our heroes, educate the public and inspire our youth by connecting them to history through hands-on exploration while bridging the future by inspiring innovation.
*As an Amazon Associate, Military Trader / Military Vehicles earns from qualifying purchases.