The heavily damaged ensign that flew above LCI(L)-488 during the landings at Normandy attests to the heavy fire experienced by the crew and troops aboard the landing craft. LCI(L)-488 was part of Assault Force “O” of the Western Naval Task Force and landed elements of the US Army 1st Battalion, 18th Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Division on the Easy Red sector of Omaha Beach during the Allied invasion of Normandy on 6 June 1944.
The 43" x 68" rectangular cloth flag has four brass grommets on the white canvas hoist. The fly is missing large sections and is frayed. There is a large hole in the white stripe beneath the bottom row of stars.
The flag now resides in the Headquarters Artifact Collection, Naval History and Heritage Command.
*As an Amazon Associate, Military Trader / Military Vehicles earns from qualifying purchases.