Between June 1942 and the end of WWII in 1945, Ford Motor Company produced 15,274 low-silhouette trucks in the G-622 series. Ford’s River Rouge plant fabricated most of the parts, but prior to February 1944, the trucks were assembled at the Ford Edgewater, New Jersey, plant. After that date, production shifted to the Ford Louisville plant.
Originally intended as foreign aid but refused the Soviet Union, the Army took the first 6,001 vehicles. In December 1942, the US Navy ordered 1,5000 of the model GTBS bomb service trucks followed by an order for another 800. The Navy received its first of several deliveries in March 1943.
Ultimately, Ford delivered more than 15,000 G-622 to the US Army, Navy, and Marine Corps. Today, the trucks are commonly known as Burma Jeeps,” and are as strikingly unusual as when first delivered to the Army in 1942.
Here are examples of a few extant trucks, some restored,and some in as-found condition:
You may also enjoy
*As an Amazon Associate, Military Trader / Military Vehicles earns from qualifying purchases.