While the classic style of the Diamond T makes it readily identifiable, less obvious and often understated is how near the military’s postwar idealized 6x6 this truck came.
Initially known as the 969, the designation was changed to 969A when the instruments and filters were changed to the Military Standard type. The 969B was built for foreign aid requirements. They are most easily spotted by having only one each headlight and taillight, and having different paint.
All model 969 trucks were built with closed cabs. While the hood and fenders were engineered specifically for the military, the cab itself was based on Diamond T’s commercial truck cabs. The 969A and 969B, on the other hand, were built in both open and closed cab versions, with military-style open cab appearing in the summer of 1943.
The Diamond Ts were powered by a Hercules RXC 529 cubic-inch straight six-cylinder engine. While the high torque engine combined with low gearing of the five-speed transmission (two-speed transfer case combination allowed an on-highway towed load rating of 12 1/2 tons), it also doomed the truck to a rated speed of 40 mph. The listed top speed and rated fuel consumption of three miles per gallon are both somewhat optimistic.
These trucks were built with a Bendix-Westinghouse air brake system, and a dual six- and 12-volt electrical system.
- Weight: 18,450 pounds
- Size (LxWxH): 297" x 88" x 1195"
- Max Speed: 40 mph
- Range: 180 miles