The Department of Defense announced that campaign stars are now authorized for wear on the Afghanistan Campaign Medal (ACM) and Iraq Campaign Medal (ICM). The campaign stars recognize a service member's particpation in DoD designated campaigns in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Service members, who have qualified for the ACM or ICM, may display a bronze campaign star on their medal for each designated campaign phase in which they participated. The stars will be worn on the suspension and campaign ribbon of the campaign medal.
The three campaign phases and associated dates established for the ACM are:
(1) Liberation of Afghanistan - Sep. 11, 2001 to Nov. 30, 2001.
(2) Consolidation I - Dec. 1, 2001 to Sep. 30, 2006.
(3) Consolidation II - Oct. 1, 2006 to a date to be determined.
The four campaign phases and associated dates established for the ICM are:
(1) Liberation of Iraq - March 19, 2003 to May 1, 2003.
(2) Transition of Iraq - May 2, 2003 to June 28, 2004.
(3) Iraqi Governance - June 29, 2004 to Dec. 15, 2005.
(4) National Resolution - Dec. 16, 2005 to a date to be determined.
Service members should contact their respective Military Departments for specific implementation guidance.